Tuesday, March 18, 2008

green beards, snakes and sticks!

Why is it that everything that will go wrong does go wrong at the worst possible moment?

A good weekend must be paid for by weighing out with a bad week.

Paddy’s day for most included getting intoxicated early in the day, while catching brief glimpses of Corks famous miniature parade strolling by. And the consumption of green ice-creams, potatoes, cakes and beer was something all could participate in, producing this feeling of community among the growing ethnic diversity that is sprawling through the city at an alarming rate. Even to the extent that an Irish person is approached and asked do they speak English!

Can we say we are happy about these changes; do we really want to become another European city, no different to those we travel to on a regular basis?

Paddy’s day is the day the man with the green beard chased out the snakes and put a plague upon us. We no longer had our own free, exterminating system to get rid of rats and mice. That’s the government hard at work trying to create more jobs and tax revenue in a continually recessive country. If you ask me that’s what caused the Titanic to sink. (The rats I was referring to!)

But onto my own personal experience of Mr Green beard day. Like all Irish nationals, I did my duty by staying in bed for the parade. My two housemates – Bevis and Butthead weren’t even impressed with it so I felt assuaged in my choice to forego the festivities.

It was later that night that I would meet up with my fellow gingerbread housemates. We all gathered in custard slices abode and were awed at the size of her bed of pastry! Our mouths watered and our eyes twinkled with envy. The soft liquorice couches did much to comfort us. Cup cake even covered her cakes with green icing with silver balls! Coco pops was very happy indeed!

The night started off swimmingly with the vast array of inviting food groups and many tasteful desserts but things soon started to turn off... a word here, a gesture there.. None too many that the majority of desserts would notice. But coco pops and cup cake were not so unaware. Perhaps it was the sugar, perhaps it was the beautifully concocted juicy alcoholic punch that set things awry.. Sour grapes and cup cakes patience wore thin. Whipped creams demeanour changed to its alter ego eggshells. And with a quick flourish and a wave was gone before those who worried knew what happened.

What did happen? I still don’t know!

The next day followed on like all good days after a night out. A morning spent in bed. Reflecting what happened the night previous seemed to cause coco pops chocolate to melt a bit, due to the stupidity of the events that had come to pass. I’m not sure it actually warrants a word as big as EVENT for what happened. Stick stubborn with stubborn and you can get some impressive arguments! Poor cup cake just isn’t cut out for this sort of stress and whipped cream should have known it!

Then to make things worse I found out one of my cereal group is sick and won’t be able to appear in the commercial Thursday! What to do?! She was one of the main cereals! I think it might have to be cancelled. Please have mercy on coco pops, she has a quality test on Thursday too!

I would like to apologise to all those food groups, especially desserts, that got hurt on green beards day, I think it was an evil day anyway! I mean a man with a big stick and a green beard that herded snakes...! need I say more?!